Skip to main content

Prickly Pear-Pulled Pork Enchiladas with Prosecco for #WinePW


Wine Pairing Weekend - #winePW - happens on the second Saturday of the month. And this month - May 2016 - Lori of  Dracaena Wines  is hosting. She invited us to a slightly belated Cinco de Mayo Enchilada Night. Since, she wrote, "Our group is all about celebrations, so for this month’s twitter chat, we are going to make enchiladas and instead of margaritas, we are pairing them with some of our favorite wines." Click to read her invitation: here.


Join the #winePW conversation: 
Join us as we share blog posts and tweet live at 11 AM Eastern Time on Saturday, May 14, 2016. Anyone interested is encouraged to join in the chat. Food-lovers, travel-nuts, winemakers, and wine-lovers...please join us with the hashtag #winePW.

For a list of past and upcoming #winePW event, visit the Wine Pairing Weekend calendar here. We'd love to have you online with us!


In My Glass
My birthday was  a couple of weeks ago and a friend brought me a bottle of prosecco because she knows that I love Italian bubbles! But I didn't have a chance to open it and thought the lively bubbles would be a great match for my tasty entree.

I was right. Well, at least I liked the combination of the enchiladas and the prosecco. My husband wasn't convinced. "I think I would prefer a beer with this dish," he declared, "or a margarita!"


The prosecco was from Zonin, one of Italy's largest privately-owned winery and the largest prosecco vineyards. I found it was refreshingly light and delicately off-dry. On the nose, I got a hint of sweetness with pear and apple. On the palate, I discerned slightly floral notes with some toasted nuts. Overall, I found it deliciously versatile. I sipped it through dinner all the way to dessert when I served a Gluten-free Blueberry Cobbler.


In the Middle of the Plate...
We love enchiladas. And I've shared recipes from Veggie Enchiladas to Chicken-Kalamata Enchiladas and Pumpkin-Potato-Pepper Enchiladas to Salmon Enchiladas. Yum!


But, for this event, I wanted to make something a little bit different than our usual. I had recently tested a recipe for Edible Monterey Bay and was inspired to make pulled pork enchiladas with a prickly pear sauce. For the recipe I tested for Edible, I used prickly pear jam as I couldn't find any fresh fruits at the time. For this dish, there were fresh tunas in almost every market. Sweet!


Ingredients
Braised Pork

  • 2 to 3 lb. skinless, boneless pork shoulder
  • 2 T oil
  • 2 C liquid (I used a mixture of white wine, stock, and water)
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1 t ground cumin

White Sauce

  • 2 T butter
  • 2 T gluten-free flour (I used a sweet rice flour)
  • 1 C milk
  • ½ C sour cream
  • 1 C broth (I used my Mineral-Rich Vegetable Broth)
  • 3 T prickly pear juice
  • ½ t ground cumin
  • freshly ground salt
  • freshly ground pepper

Enchiladas

  • 2 to 3 C braised pork
  • 2 T butter
  • 1 C onions, diced
  • 2 T prickly pear juice
  • 2 C grated cheese (I used a mixture of mild cheddar, Monterey jack, and mozzarella)
  • corn tortillas

Procedure

Braised Pork
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil. Sear the pork shoulder on all sides until nicely browned, approximately 1 minute per side.


Pour in the liquid and add salt, pepper, and ground cumin. Bring to a boil. Then cover and reduce heat. Braise pork for 3 to 4 hours. If using immediately, shred meat with a fork. Otherwise, let cool and refrigerate until ready to use.

White Sauce
Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add flour and cook for 1 minute to form a roux.
Pour in milk and whisk until thickened, approximately 1 minute. Stir in sour cream, broth, and prickly pear juice. Whisk and cook until slightly thickened, approximately 2 minutes. Whisk in cumin, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.

Enchiladas
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.


In a large, flat-bottom pan, melt butter in a splash of olive oil. Add in prickly pear juice. Cook your onions until softened and beginning to turn translucent. Add the pulled pork and cook until lightly crisped.


To assemble, lay two corn tortillas in a cutting board, or plate, overlapping at one edge - to make a "longer" wrapper. pork in the center of the two tortillas, sprinkle with cheese, and roll them - as tightly as you can! - into a cylinder. Place it in your baking dish.

Roll as many as you can with the ingredients that you have. When your dish is packed, spoon sauce over the top. If the liquid doesn't reach halfway up the dish, fill it with water, or more broth. Top with the rest of your shredded cheese. Cover with foil.

Bake for 35-40 minutes - until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted. Uncover and return to the oven for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown slightly. Let cool for a few moments before serving.

I served these Prickly Pear-Pulled Pork Enchiladas with a Dragonfruit, Mango, Jicama, & Corn Salad on the side.

Comments

  1. Camilla, I think both you and your husband are right. Prosecco is a good choice for a wine, but if I'm really honest, I'd say "beer"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff. I think I agree with you. Jake and I are both correct. That's a rarity.

      Delete
  2. Before this month's #winePW I definitely would have agreed with your husband, but I'm loving thinking through how to pair wine with spicy food. These prickly pear pork enchiladas sounds sooooo good! Can not wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I learned SO much reading the posts this round.

      Delete
  3. Happy belated birthday! These enchiladas sound great-- I say that b/c the pork sounds like a great filling, I have to say I don't know what prickly pear tastes like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Prickly pear tastes sort of like a mix between a kiwi, a cucumber, and a watermelon.

      Delete
  4. Happy belated bday! Hope you had a great one! What an interesting meal. Prickly Pear! I've never eaten it. I had it growing in my yard and had to take it out because it became way too invasive (do you believe that?) But maybe if I had a recipe to cook with it I would have kept it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that it's invasive. But I could see that it would be obstrusive!

      Delete
  5. How creative! These enchiladas look wonderful! Prosecco sounds like it would be a nice pairing! Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated! Believe it or not I don't believe I've ever had enchiladas as I'm not one typically for Mexican, but what an interesting contrast with the prosecco.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meyer Lemon Custard-Filled Matcha Turtles #BreadBakers

#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our  Pinterest board  right here. Links are also updated after each event on the  Bread Bakers home page .  We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month Stacy of Food Lust People Love  is hosting and she wrote: "Your bread can be large, as in one big animal, or small - animal-shaped rolls. Use your imagination! Points for flavor and shape!" If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to Stacy at foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. Here's the animal-shaped bread basket from the #BreadBakers... Beef and Sweet Onion Dim Sum Pandas from Karen's Kitchen Stories Bird Bread Rolls from Ambrosia Easter Bunny Buns from Cook with Renu Ham and Cheese Elephant Rolls from Food Lust People Love Hedgehog Bread from Making Mir

Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé #Winophiles

This month the French Winophiles group is looking at affordable wines from Burgundy.  Host Cindy of Grape Experiences wrote: "Burgundy, or Bourgogne, is known for its wines of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir... as well as Aligote, Gamay, Sauvignon, César, Pinot Beurot, Sacy, Melon in lesser quantities. Many of the well-known wines are quite expensive, but there are plenty of values to be found." Read her invitation here. And there won't be a Twitter chat for this event, so you will have to dive into the articles themselves to read about our pairings and findings. Here's the line-up... Wendy Klik from A Day in the Life on the Farm enjoys Domaine Chevillon Chezeaux Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits, 2018 Paired with a Maple Pecan Chicken . Camilla Mann from Culinary Adventures with Camilla shares her love of Connecticut Lobster Rolls, Canned Lobster Bisque, and a 2019 Henry Fessy 'Maître Bonhome' Viré-Clessé. Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick! explains why we should Look t

Quick Pickled Red Onions and Radishes

If you've been reading my blog for even a short amount of time, you probably know how much I love to pickle things. I was just telling a friend you can pickle - with vinegar - or you can ferment - with salt - for similar delicious effect. The latter has digestive benefits and I love to do that, but when I need that pop of sour flavor quickly, I whip up quick pickles that are ready in as little as a day or two. I've Pickled Blueberries , Pickled Asparagus , Pickled Cranberries , Pickled Pumpkin , and even Pickled Chard Stems ! This I did last night for an upcoming recipe challenge that requires I include radishes. Ummmm...of course I'm pickling them! Ingredients  makes 1 quart jar radishes, trimmed and sliced organic red onions, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin slicer) 3/4 C vinegar (I used white distilled vinegar) 3/4 C water 3 T organic granulated sugar 1 T salt (I used some grey sea salt) 6 to 8 grinds of black pepper Proce